Symonds Yat Div 2/3 16th and 17th March

Discuss past and future events
RobK

Symonds Yat Div 2/3 16th and 17th March

Post by RobK » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:04 pm

Due to parking pressures at the site we've made some changes for 2019.

The event will now be based out of the Biblins Youth Camp Site which is on the opposite of the river from where we normally have Race Control and just below the rapids. We've negotiated a good deal for parking and there is amble space for everyone. You can launch from here and paddle up to the course or it's a 10 minute walk up the bank.

We are going to base everything on that far bank this year, so that's Race Control, pre-start and get out. Spectators can still view from the East bank.

Biblins offers a good event base and the local scouts will be running a catering tent both days.

You can also camp at Biblins but need to book through Wyedean Canoe Club not directly with Biblins. It's not a public camp site so don't just turn up without booking through us first. There are restrictions on camper vans. To book camping or enquiries e-mail yatslalom@yahoo.com

Full info will shortly go out on UK Slalom under the event.

Happy paddling and let's hope the River Gods are kind to us this year.

Rob and Mitch
Wyedean Canoe Club

James Hastings

Re: Symonds Yat Div 2/3 16th and 17th March

Post by James Hastings » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:20 am

Hi Rob & Mitch,

For those of us staying in accommodation in Symonds Yat East, it's going to be much more convenient to launch from the usual car park by the canoe shop and paddle down to start from there, rather than drive all the way around to the West side (and more environmentally friendly). I assume that there's not a problem with this?

Cheers,
James

RobK

Post by RobK » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:28 pm

Hi James

yes that's all good

Like you say just launch from the canoe shop car park and paddle down. You will need to pay a launch fee and parking if not included with your accommodation.

If the bulk of people park at Biblins then we'll be fine. S Yat East can no longer handle all the cars for the event. Only around a third of the canoe shop car park will be open so no way near enough space for everyone. We also get complaints as we impact the local hotels and pub because regular tourists and visitors can't park. This puts the whole event at risk in future.

What we have arranged at Biblins is also cheaper and we can guarantee everyone will get parked.

Rob

JimW

Post by JimW » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:28 pm

The best solution I found in the past was to stay at the Royal Lodge and legitimately use their car park as a guest, but Biblins will be a lot less expensive. Must be 30 years or more since I've camped there!

RobK

Post by RobK » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:38 am

The Royal Lodge offers the ultimate luxury slalom weekend experience with en-suite bathroom, 3 course dinner and parking included. Step out of the hotel and straight onto the course. We are assuming most people wont want to spend this much but is an option open to anyone. They may have deals at that time of year. Just google Royal Lodge Symonds Yat.

Biblins offers an affordable option for everyone and is also in a beautiful and peaceful location right by the river. Our main issue as organisers is SY East can no longer accommodate all the slalom event parking hence the change this year.

James Hastings

Post by James Hastings » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:28 am

If that is the attitude of local businesses to slalomists, then I find it a tad insulting. I've been coming to the Symonds Yat slaloms pretty much since they reappeared on the calendar, staying in local B&B accommodation and eating and drinking in the local hostelries in Symonds Yat East. I would estimate that during the course of a slalom weekend me and my wife put around £300 into the local economy all things considered, and we are by no means the only ones. As far as I'm concerned that entitles me to make use of the facilities available, such as the car park at the canoe shop - it's not as though we are not paying for it!

There almost seems to be an attitude of treating slalomists as second class citizens. Do we need to remind the local businesses, politely but firmly, that the slaloms bring a considerable amount of money into the local economy on what are two out of season weekends?

James

IDL

Post by IDL » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:17 pm

Sounds like a positive move. Well done Wyedean and the crew.

Can they handle caravans at Biblins?

Mike Mitchell

Post by Mike Mitchell » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:54 pm

Hi James, I fully agree with you and I am sure the local business are happy for you to spend cash with them.
The problem is there is just not enough parking at the Canoe Centre unless they use the field and the Ground is still to wet for this. So the Slalom event will take over all there parking for the Day and they will get no other trade. Also there are always some that try and avoid paying and that spoils it for everyone.
So as a trial we are going to see how the event runs from the other bank. There is plenty of space over there and less tourists.
Control and finish will be on the far Bank but judges in the usual positions.

IDL. Caravans and large Motorhomes are not allowed at the Biblins. We have booked Walford Village Hall for this. Post Code HR9 5QS. It is a short drive to Symonds Yat East but a long way from the West [Biblins]

Mountain Bikes. There is some of the Best biking in the UK around Symonds Yat, but if you just want to get to and from the Biblins to either Bank a Bike is the best option.

Phones. They just don't work at the Biblins or below half way down the Rapids. So have a peaceful weekend.

Mitch

James Hastings

Post by James Hastings » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:44 am

Thanks for the clarification Mitch. We will be parked in our accommodation's car park on the Saturday, so no issue on that day and will try and avoid parking in the canoe shop car park on Sunday unless breakfast/practice run timings make it unavoidable for us.

James

RobK

Post by RobK » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:44 pm

Just seen a post about caravans. Unfortunately no caravans allowed at Biblins but we have arranged another site for these nearby.

Just e-mail yatslalom@yahoo.com and I can let you have all the details.

Rob

RobK

Post by RobK » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:22 pm

We are very nearly at capacity, so last shout for entries. No late entry fees if you enter before Friday.

Rob and Mitch
Wyedean CC

RobK

Post by RobK » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:28 pm

Provisional start list for Saturday is now out on UK Slalom. Sunday likely to be similar times.

Free practice before 9am (no event safety in place)
Official practice from 9am *
First runs from 10.30am *
Second runs from 1.30pm*
Prize giving 4.30pm

*full safety cover

davebrads

Post by davebrads » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:00 pm

How confident are you that you will be able to run the event this weekend given the high water levels?

Mike Mitchell

Post by Mike Mitchell » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:21 pm

We are probably 50/50 at the moment.
The River upstream has just gone up to 4meters and that will be at the Yat Wed evening.
We need it to be under 3meters, so it will depend on what Rain we get between now and Friday.
We will make a decision tomorrow evening and post on hear.

Better move it to Shepperton ? :lol:

davebrads

Post by davebrads » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:44 am

Thanks Mike, we'll keep an eye on the levels and on here.