Cancellation of all British Canoeing events and gatherings,

Discuss past and future events
Nick Taylor

Cancellation of all British Canoeing events and gatherings,

Post by Nick Taylor » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:26 pm

British Canoeing Coronavirus update on events and gatherings:
"we are announcing the cancellation of all British Canoeing events and gatherings, with immediate effect from now until 30 April 2020. We will keep this end date under careful review and extend it as necessary.
This does of course regrettably include any events that were scheduled for this weekend (21-22 March)."

https://www.britishcanoeing.org.uk/news ... -19-update

PeterC

Re: Cancellation of all British Canoeing events and gatherings,

Post by PeterC » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:39 am

Thanks Nick.

I have written out to all organisers up until the end of April who now have the thankless task of cancelling races. While at the moment this is up to and including the 30th April it is very likely that cancellations will extend beyond that and further into the summer. At the present time there is no way to predict when sporting activities may be resumed.

Unfortunately neither organisers or British Canoeing are in a position to recompense for expenses incurred for accommodation and other things over and above the refunding of entry fees.

At this time it is impossible to predict when a race programme can resume or indeed its nature.

If anyone has questions or issues that you feel I may be able to help with then please do not hesitate to get in touch. slalom.safety@vol.britishcanoeing.org.uk

Organisers of races beyond the end of April should consider reviewing their plans for cancellation and making sure they are fit to implement in the event that the cancellations extend.

Stay safe and hope to see you all soon...

Dee

Post by Dee » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:52 am

For those in the sad position of needing to cancel their competitions:
• Go to the setup pages for your competition
• Click on the cancel competition button in the bottom right hand corner
• Check and confirm
This will cancel and refund all the entries and cannot be undone, so please make sure you cancel the right competition if you are organising more than one!
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

Dee

Post by Dee » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:55 am

As I am sure you are aware, once we have charged paddlers' cards (usually about 3 weeks before the race) we are unable to refund the booking fees. This means that although paddlers will receive a refund for their entry fees, it won’t be for everything they have paid :(

It seems at least possible, if not probable, that we may be required to cancel more competitions going forward. For this reason, I am looking at delaying charging until 5 days before the competition starts. Two main impacts:
• It will significantly reduce the time that you have to resolve failed charges
• The receipt of payment currently acts as a reminder to paddlers that they entered the race – and we often see a few cancellations immediately after charging – these payment triggered cancellation requests will be much later than usual!

As there are downsides I am, for now, just changing competitions due to take place before the end of May, but will review at intervals and extend if appropriate.

Note that organisers can see when their competition is due to charge paddlers by going to the Finance page.

Competitors can see the current expected charge date for all the competitions that they have entered by going to https://www.canoeslalomentries.co.uk/ye ... y-payments , but be aware that these dates may change.
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!