GRANDTULLY DIV 1 28/29 AUGUST 2021

Discuss past and future events
Kelso

GRANDTULLY DIV 1 28/29 AUGUST 2021

Post by Kelso » Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:15 am

Hello All

We have published what we can about Grandtully DIv 1 August 2021. Apologies for being late with this.
If I have made any mistakes, please drop me a line and I will try to correct errors.
I have been out of the UK since December, and not likely to return for a couple more months.
I am in Havana, Cuba, where I have my own apartment and Polski Fiat 126 for transport. ( Not seen a beach yet, nor a mojito, nor a bar.)
Various return flight routings have been cancelled one after the other, since various intermediate countries are no-go for return routing.
Airlines have been limited to one flight a week each.
We are pretty well locked down. Bars shut. Clubs shut. Restaurants take away until 7pm. Beaches shut. Strict Curfew 9 pm to 5 am.
No interprovincial travel allowed.
I can get my email using my phone as a hotspot if the connection is not down. Its only about $50 a month these days.
We use WhatsApp extensively as international calls are outrageously expensive. I will not answer my UK phone.
If anyone wants to contact me, try WhatsApp on +53 54834491. But remember I am five hours behind you.

Grandtully Campsite is curently closed. ( as at 1 March)... Check the SCA web site from time to time for it's status.
There is a new web site being prepared for the campsite... and maybe an announcement about major new facilities...

best to all
Kelso Riddell - Forth CC
Last edited by Kelso on Sun May 23, 2021 6:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JimW

Re: GRANDTULLY DIV 1 AUGUST 2021

Post by JimW » Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:48 pm

You have my sympathy on the Polski Fiat 126, the rest I could put up with but I think one of those would drive me over the edge.
(shuddering at the memory of a 9 hour drive accross Poland in the back of a 126 for my Grandad's sister's funeral)

Kelso

Re: GRANDTULLY DIV 1 AUGUST 2021

Post by Kelso » Sat May 08, 2021 2:52 pm

Hi Jim
If you send me a personal email I will tell you all about cars in Cuba.
"Es lo que hay"

Kelso

Re: GRANDTULLY DIV 1 28/29 AUGUST 2021

Post by Kelso » Sun May 23, 2021 6:46 pm

Latest News Sunday 23 May

With considerable regret, Forth CC has decided to cancel Grandtully Slalom Di1 28/29 August 2021.

We look forward to running the event in 2022.

Note - Please read the separate topic concerning Grandtully Campsite facilities 2021 which I have just sent to organisers.

Kelso Riddell

Kelso

Post by Kelso » Sun May 23, 2021 6:46 pm

With considerable regret, Forth CC has decided to cancel Grandtully Slalom Di1 28/29 August 2021.

We look forward to running the event in 2022.

Note - Please read the separate topic concerning Grandtully Campsite facilities 2021 which I have just sent to organisers.

Kelso Riddell

humphr

Post by humphr » Sun May 23, 2021 11:11 pm

Why? They need more races not less.

Can this weekend be used for a team that want to run an event in Div1?
Another parent

CeeBee

Post by CeeBee » Mon May 24, 2021 12:01 am

Just wondered if you are already part of a club that runs a slalom or part of a club that wants to run this slalom.

We all want and need more slaloms to run for the future of the sport but I do wonder how many of those in Div 1 and prem are involved in running an event at this level?

humphr

Post by humphr » Mon May 24, 2021 6:05 am

CeeBee wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 12:01 am
Just wondered if you are already part of a club that runs a slalom or part of a club that wants to run this slalom.

We all want and need more slaloms to run for the future of the sport but I do wonder how many of those in Div 1 and prem are involved in running an event at this level?
Yes a Prem & two div2/3

Would love to run a Div1 at some point in the future. There are races that have been cancelled due to being before 21st June. Could they not fill spots of races that have cancelled for other reasons?

Every cancelled race at every level is a blow to the sport.
Another parent

Mike Mitchell

Post by Mike Mitchell » Mon May 24, 2021 4:21 pm

Kelso wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 6:46 pm

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I feel this is really bad news for the Sport and Division 1. With the amount of points needed to get promoted to Prem its going to be really hard this year anyway. There are now Junior paddlers that will be 24months Older by time they come back to Grandtully. We need to support and keep these paddlers.
So to loos Two Days of racing makes it even worse for those Div 1 paddlers desperate to get promoted. We actually need more races this year and not less. So there is the possibility that the Race could be moved to an alternative site, say we all drive some 500 miles to Llandysul, but then a lot of us have already booked accommodation in Scotland. Like me with No holidays for the last 15 months we have booked 3 weeks in Scotland with the hope that everything will come out of lockdown.

So I have One Question, If a team of volunteers got together would we get the support and backing to run this event.
So the event may not be to the usual high standards but any event is better than none in these times.

humphr

Post by humphr » Mon May 24, 2021 4:38 pm

I’m in Mike. Just copy what they did the weekend before with a different course. There is enough of us to make this happen I am sure of it
Another parent

CeeBee

Post by CeeBee » Mon May 24, 2021 10:00 pm

Its certainly possible and would be great to make it happen.

Online entries takes away a lot of the admin so that's a good start.

The judging could be made easier by splitting the paddlers up into say 12 groups (with 1 or more clubs in same group) with each group being responsible for judging a section for the morning or afternoon and arranging the rota between themselves.

No cafe possible or required so that's another thing to simplify the event.

Slapdash Sal

Post by Slapdash Sal » Mon May 24, 2021 11:10 pm

We would be happy to help out to facilitate a race at Tully.
Such a great place for a div 1 race. It would be such a shame to lose this race. Let us know what we need to do. I would be happy to coordinate the judges. Pete could help to design a course. I am sure other members of Proteus will support with putting up the course. We CAN do this if we muck in together. As you say, Mike maybe a few clubs could join together. We are not worried about making any money out of the event. We just want to facilitate an event for the youngsters and the older paddlers. Who else will join us to make this happen? Sal

JimW

Post by JimW » Wed May 26, 2021 2:16 am

Anyone from England or Wales thinking of stepping in to run an event at Grandtully (it is quite feasible, everything is there) needs to read the current SCA guidance for paddlesport under Covid-19 (which apparently changed today?) and the Scottish government's latest road map for easing restrictions.
https://irp.cdn-website.com/b9315d6a/fi ... 20v1.2.pdf
https://www.gov.scot/publications/coron ... timetable/

And I'm sure everyone is now aware of the slalom committee notice about rescheduling events for this year (I mistook it for being a message about late applications for 2022 - doh!):
http://www.canoeslalom.co.uk/info/2021% ... events.htm

Just be aware that Scotland is on a different time line to everyone else, and that although all of Scotland should be in level 0 by July, level 0 is not quite no restrictions. I would also suggest making a plan that could work in level 1 or level 2 just in case things slow down, or Perthshire goes back up a level because in those levels you will most likely have to split the entries into groups which are only allowed on site at specific non-overlapping times. I would suggest level 3 would be a cancellation since no over 18's would be allowed to compete and the group size gets very small - my div 2 plans (untested due to cancellation) were all based on achieving level 2 before the race, Pinkston still hasn't got to level 2, 3 weeks after the race would have been. :cry:
In fact, based on the current rules, because I live in level 2, I can travel 15 miles to Pinkston to facilitate organised sport for U18s, but not to take part in organised sport, but I can drive 80 miles to Grandtully (or to pretty much anywhere else in Scotland, except the lower Findhorn and lower Spey) to take part in organised sport. :roll:

As far as my help goes, whoever takes it on - Scottish, English, Welsh or a consortium, I will almost certainly be able to help out on the weekend if needed, but I do not have spare time to do the pre-race organisation.

JimW

Post by JimW » Thu May 27, 2021 11:07 am

Just announced on SCA FB 20 minutes ago, Grandtully campsite will be accepting tents again from tomorrow (28 May), albeit designated pitches and greatly reduced capacity compared to the usual slalom approach of squeezaing into any gap you can find.

Thinking about the offers to run an event, is anyone aware of any devolved governance or insurance issues that might put a damper on this, and if so how can we look at working something out? The easiest route is obviously if a Scottish club can take it on.

Finnjohnson

Post by Finnjohnson » Fri May 28, 2021 7:56 am

Mike Mitchell wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 4:21 pm
Kelso wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 6:46 pm

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I feel this is really bad news for the Sport and Division 1. With the amount of points needed to get promoted to Prem its going to be really hard this year anyway. There are now Junior paddlers that will be 24months Older by time they come back to Grandtully. We need to support and keep these paddlers.
So to loos Two Days of racing makes it even worse for those Div 1 paddlers desperate to get promoted. We actually need more races this year and not less. So there is the possibility that the Race could be moved to an alternative site, say we all drive some 500 miles to Llandysul, but then a lot of us have already booked accommodation in Scotland. Like me with No holidays for the last 15 months we have booked 3 weeks in Scotland with the hope that everything will come out of lockdown.

So I have One Question, If a team of volunteers got together would we get the support and backing to run this event.
So the event may not be to the usual high standards but any event is better than none in these times.
Following on from Mikes comments above- I Totally agree that we should be coming together to support the future of the sport. There are three families travelling from Frome CC in Somerset to Scotland for the Div 1 race so we can muster 5/6 Volunteers to help run the race/ races. I know a solution isn’t always that easy but we could try .........