Interclubs

Discuss past and future events
harratts

Interclubs

Post by harratts » Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:46 pm

I've just read in the last canoe slalom committee meeting minutes that we will not have an Interclubs event next season either.

What a pity as this is the only event in any season where paddlers race as a combined Team. Novice beginners together with experienced Prem. paddlers alike.

Let's try to come up with a plan to reintroduce it or an alternative format, similar event in 2024.

Anyone agree?
Steve

Dee

Re: Interclubs

Post by Dee » Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:45 pm

Traditionally, interclubs has always been run by the clubs for the clubs.

The issue is finding someone to run it at a suitable location. Cardington was perfect for this with lots of camping right next to an appropriate course. However, whilst local help has been offered the local paddlers are not able to organise it and no-one else has come forward

Find someone prepared to organise the event and you are over half way there. As ever it is manpower that is the issue
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

AndyKettlewell

Post by AndyKettlewell » Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:37 pm

Apologies for going quiet on Interclubs, after Covid got in the way of running the 2020 race I decided it was my time to pass it on to a new organiser to bring it the lease of life it deserves.

I would be more than happy to help and have a chat with anyone who would like to relight the fire on what I still believe to be the best social weekend on the slalom calendar. Bringing everyone together and helping inspire the next band of future champions and volunteers whilst representing the club that introduced you to the sport or took you under their wing to help you grow.

Club identity is more important than ever right now and having a weekend where you can take your paddling back to your roots is vital for the longevity of the club structure and future generations. I for one am forever grateful to Viking and Llandysul for showing me and inspiring me for what will be a lifelong passion (although my back doesn't).

It was an honour to take it on from Jim, it's now someone else's time to carry it on, it's not that hard... honest

Andy

John Stoner

Post by John Stoner » Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:34 pm

I've been meaning to respond to this for several months...

Firstly, many thanks to Andy for organising the Interclubs competition in recent years. I agree completely with Andy and Steve's comments. From a club development point of view, the competition has been an important - possibly the most important - event in our (Break Out Canoe Unit) calendar for many years. We were disappointed to find that it wouldn't be appearing in 2023. I was also surprised that the reason being given for its demise was the lack of an organiser, when I'd not noticed any calls for somebody to step up. Let's make sure that it happens in 2024 if at all possible! I'm not going to put myself forward at present - my focus is currently very much on club recovery post-COVID - but I'd certainly be up for supporting, and perhaps helping to organise the event in the future.