strange/suspicious advert for C1

Stuff for sale
seanmc

strange/suspicious advert for C1

Post by seanmc » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:27 pm

This was posted over on ukriversguidebook.com

https://www.gumtree.com/p/boats-kayaks- ... 1172624015

The description doesn't read like it's a paddler selling it
I have for sale a genuine carbon fibre race kayak for sale that I no longer use. It is a kneel in type for tall people, but could be sat in if you're around 5ft 8 or so and is built for speed. Generally in great condition apart from the usual wear and tear and lacquer peel, but the carbon fibre looks great still. Has rust coming from some of the screws holding the straps in, but nothing major. Paddle is a graphite shaft with plastic blades. Both have had a little clean, but could do with a bit more to make perfect. The person I bought it off thought it was used in the British championships at some point, but can't confirm that. The stabilising fin on the bottom has been glued on and bodged, but keeps you in a straight line. Stickers and labels would suggest a one off design and has the designers signature on the label, quality British made item. Offers considered.

JimW

Re: strange/suspicious advert for C1

Post by JimW » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:48 pm

Yep, that is as suspicious as can be, however the boat is a Maverick from around '95 and has very little value now - if it was stolen I don't suppose the owner will miss it much!

I am confused about the P&H label and sticker on the back deck, as far as I know these were made or imported by Arrowcraft, nothing to do with P&H, unless this one has been for a repair and they stickered it up then?
I noticed the Marriot name on the label of mine, that one clearly says Gareth Marriot - he was one of our top C1s at the time, was he involved in the design or the building of them?

I had one until last year - I never raced it, was given it by a friend who used to race it and I took nearly 20 years to get round to fitting it out, then realised it was way too small for me. The review on cboats.net reckon it is/was the fastest C1 ever made in a straight line, but a pig to turn, so it is especially amusing that someone has added a skeg to this one! This isn't my old one, that has more repairs and an Arrowcraft sticker behind the cockpit, it is also in the club boatshed in case any of the kids want to try C1.
Definitely not a 1 off, except the addition of the skeg and an eyelet on the stern, and it actually looks to be in really good condition apart from those 'blemishes'. Nowhere near as tough as a modern 3.5m boat though.