Who Are YOU - Over 500 registered users, but. . .

Oh dear... enter at your own risk!
Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:37 am

Talking to someone at the ACM the thorny topic of pseudonyms on this board came up. these names do allow a bit of levity and allow postings to be anonymous. But is the anonimity needed.
Some people do not make use of this, either because they think the anonymity is a bad thing, they feel that their statements are better when properly attributed, or they just do not want a nick name. So who is willing to own up to who they are? Looking through the list of registered users, there are more using their names than I thought, but then that could be a bluff (and there are some I do not know!)

To start if anyone does not know, I am Colin Woodgate, from Peterborough. Disorganiser of events, section judge, drfiter round poles in C1,C2 and C2. Well normally, but I have been away from slalom for a while due to family issues, planning to be back this season.

I suspect we can guess who the following are (or at least their names, even if we do not know them):
A. Hadfield/ahadfield/ashadfield
Anne H
anthonybrown
AntonLippek
Bill Denboro
campbell
Chris Wilde
DanRobson
Dave Crosbee
Dave Royle
Dave Tonks
DaveMassey
davewaine
David Backhouse
David Hepworth
David Westley
david wilson
David.Cuthill
Don Raspin
Ed Kay
Gary Stevenson
Gordon Yates
graemepaterson
harry mugford
Helen Reeves
Iain Bethune
Jerry Tracey
Jill Bolton
jim croft
Jim Jayes
joe coombs
John Sturgess
joseph Hubert
judith croft
Karim Bashir
Kay_Brads
Ken Trollope
MarvinRounce
Mick Smith
Nathan Stevenson
NEIL SETFORD-THOMPSON
Nick Penfold
Nick_Smith
PaulBolton
Pete Willett
PeterDerrik
Phil Mcdonagh
phil-cooke
RayFairhurst
rich hounslow
Richard Hodge
Richard Lee
Richard Moss
RichHope
RichSanderson
Rob Graves
Rob Holdway
Rob Neave
Rob Vincent
sam taylor
STEVE REECE
tombrady

And it is not hard to guess at (but I could be wrong
Carlr
davebrads
Dee
Dutch Geezer
eauxvives.org
ElaineF
esther
Geebs
Kev.S
lemonbelly
Mark D.
raeofsunshine
VivienneM
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points

Ray

Post by Ray » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:33 pm

I (Ray) am Ray Ponting. Not hiding my identity - just lazy!

jake vkc

Post by jake vkc » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:07 pm

im jake, from viking kc. :D not anonymous

66-1146487544

Post by 66-1146487544 » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:14 am

My name is Mark Shaw, I hail from the City of Lancaster, and I am a member of Ribble CC (City of Preston) and Ormskirk Scouts CC (organisers of the Bala Mill 2/3 in May). I am a section judge and occasional jury member.

If anyone has ever seen me carrying two slalom boats back up the course at Nottingham on a windy day then you will know why I chose my nickname. It seemed apt to use a nickname when I first registered on this board as nearly everyone seemed to be using one.

Kev.S

Post by Kev.S » Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:46 am

Kev Sargent, but I guess you know that CP.

Also a section judge for my sins, a member of Rugby C.C allthough the kids paddle for that great club HPPCC.

I am just to lazy to bother typing my full name every time I log in.
I cant understand why people need to hide behind pseudonyms, as Tom Wakeling once said on another thread, show yourself you swine!
To err is human, if you really want to screw up, use a computer!!

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:53 pm

I'm no swine!! Are you coming to the event of the season this weekend Kev? I do of course mean Peterborough Slalom this Sunday! :D
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.

dsamartin

Post by dsamartin » Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:39 pm

Used initals for our names,Dave, Sue, Andrew Martin from Cleveland.
Taxi, chef, kit dryer, boat repairer etc haven't got time to post!!!

Munchkin

Post by Munchkin » Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:19 pm

Michelle from Baldock & District CC. I used to log in as Shelly but lost my details when I moved work. Now log on as Munchkin as that is what all the guys at the club call me and is what is on my Drysuit!

phatboy

Post by phatboy » Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:43 pm

MATTY LISTER!!!!! not fat i jus like the name haha!! I DONT HIDE FROM ANYTHING!! -much- haha.
Phatty!

FatBoy

Post by FatBoy » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:30 pm

Alan Hartley

A colleague from years ago called me FatBoy which was actually ironic because he put on far more weight than me on that project.

I don't hide behind a username deliberately, even though I do tend to speak my mind and play devil's advocate quite alot.

If the general feeling is that we should use real names on the board, then I'm happy to change.

Seedy Paddler

Post by Seedy Paddler » Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:04 pm

Not a particularly difficult spot for those that know me -
Craig Douglas (aka CD)

Keeps the site more informal and less officious when the ranting is from character names. However also known to give the game away when I post promos on Seaton Slalom or anything that needs to be taken more seriously!

Been around far too long (paddler/organiser/judge/coach) but removed from the main populace by earning my crust in the North.

Jeff

Post by Jeff » Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:40 am

Jeff Doggett of Packers in Peterborough. The avatar really is of me!

I'm also a level 2 coach, and sometimes help at the Peterborough events by providing safety cover. If you were fished out by a guy in an orange SPARC then that was me!

Jeff

John

Post by John » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:53 am

The advantage of people posting anonymously is that you can take them on face value. It should remove ad hominem and ad verecundiam arguments; personal attacks and appeals to authority.

So,
A: "I think we should return to end of year promotion."
B: "Well said, A, you've been a coach for 20 years, so you should know."
or
C: "I think we should return to end of year promotion."
D: "Go away, kid, you're only in div 4. How should you know?"

Unfortunately, the anonymous posters are now being subjected to personal attack arguments, simply because they are posting anonymously.

John Smith from London

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:33 pm

It was not my inetntion to suggest that we should not be allowed to use anonymous postings, or that there shoudl be any pressure to record who you are. I use a pseudonym, and would only change it to correct my tryping (dratted 'A'). But there have been people guessing who is who e.g.(phatboy is Mr Lister, or is he Fatboy, and which front mand paddels with which backman. . )
If you are happy to reveal yourself then heres somewhere you can.

If your anonymity is pretty poor (like Seedy and I) then it makes no difference anyway! ;)

Seedy Paddler

Post by Seedy Paddler » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:35 am

Should also note that the same Seedy Paddler appears on various sites including AKc; AUCC and UKRGB :p