Grants for Slalom - Available to Slalom Clubs/Individuals

The place to discuss slalom development issues specific to England
Mark Shaw

Post by Mark Shaw » Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:43 pm

Can anyone with information on grants available to Slalom clubs/individuals please post the details under this thread so that those who use the forum have a single place to find this sort of info?

Thanks,
Mark
The above is the personal opinion of Mark Shaw and does not reflect the views of either the BCU or England Slalom Committees.

Fairweather Paddler

Post by Fairweather Paddler » Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:42 pm

While this thread may seem like a good idea at first, in reality it may not be!

The problem is that other than lottery based grants, most are regionally based and therefore what is good for one area is useless to everyone else.

Also at this time of year I get an average of 6 e-mails a day alerting me to funders who have money they need to get spent before the end of the financial year - a lot have some strange criteria, so without knowing what groups need I would run the risk of either missing alerting you to a funder or alternatively spending all day posting links.

Finding funding is part of my job, but I think my boss would have something to say if I spent all day helping canoe clubs, however if a club is really struggling contact me and I will do my best to help! :;):

Mark Shaw

Post by Mark Shaw » Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:42 pm

Could we at least post those grants that are regionally based but are available to all regions equally?

I get the impression that all the grants mentioned so far in posts fall under this category.

I've so far only heard from 3 slalom clubs that have been awarded grants - have others been successful but are keeing quiet about it - or have others just not bothered because they believe it is too much hard work?

There is potentially thousands of pounds up for grabs every year and I for one would like to see a portion of that money going to slalom clubs.
The above is the personal opinion of Mark Shaw and does not reflect the views of either the BCU or England Slalom Committees.

Seedy Paddler

Post by Seedy Paddler » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:22 pm

Isn't this a thread on Regional Grants in any case as it is domiciled in the England section. :;):

We have had grant aid to support slalom initiatives but then we are based in sunny Scotland so the Grant Process is not applicable down South albeit the funding is- Awards for All

Slow Paddler

Post by Slow Paddler » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:31 pm

Awards for All - Up to £10,000 http://www.awardsforall.org.uk/

The BCU have the canoeing Foundation fund for up to £1,000 for junior projects. www.bcu.org.uk/about/canoe-foundation/

Community Foundation are good for advice & administer various grants - These are regional (ie I use Greater Manchester) - do a search on google

Grassroots grants give out up to £5000. You have to apply regionally (another search on google will find your local awarding body).

The majority of larger companies run their own schemes. You need to look at their websites. There are also a lot of trusts out there, you just need to put the time in to look for them.

If applying for non lottery money, remember Sports Match, they match non lottery money pound for pound.

Your local CVS should be useful for getting advice on which grants to go for, they have software etc. You can also get limited grant software free on the internet.

The one grant I have been turned down for was a project looking at getting larger people into slalom. Every other grant that has mentioned young people and women so far has been accepted. Make sure you are starting a new project, ie junior team for 12 - 14 year olds etc. Most grants won't pay ongoing costs, they like to buy you equipment, but not pay for your heating / insurance etc.

Just be sure you have time to put the effort in. It is not just the initial application, the grant people want others to know they've given money, and want feedback and accurate accounts at the end. However it is worth it, so far we have been given 3 Smolkos, 3 XS Stings, 4 Lizards, 2 C2's and all associated equipment. Lots of training for coaches, fitness equipment and a multimedia projector. Well over £20,000 in a year.

Fairweather Paddler

Post by Fairweather Paddler » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:07 am

For Your Information:-

Rural Sports Initiatives

The Rural Communities Themed Round will support projects that increase sporting opportunities for people in rural areas.

It is the first in a series of themed funding rounds designed to focus on specific areas, or challenges, in grassroots sport that will benefit from new ideas and additional targeted investment.

The Rural Communities Themed Round will be open to sports clubs, voluntary or community organisations, local authorities, schools, colleges and universities that provide opportunities for people to take part in community sport.

The fund will begin accepting applications on 24 April 2009, and those seeking funding will have until 5pm on 30 June 2009 to submit a stage one application.

Rural communities have been chosen for the first round to help address barriers to participation in sport, such as reduced choice and transport issues. The minimum grant available is £10,000.

For more details go to [URL=http://funding.sportengland.org/funding ... ties1.aspx]

Geebs

Post by Geebs » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:03 am

Fairweather Paddler wrote:For Your Information:-

Rural Sports Initiatives

The Rural Communities Themed Round will support projects that increase sporting opportunities for people in rural areas.

It is the first in a series of themed funding rounds designed to focus on specific areas, or challenges, in grassroots sport that will benefit from new ideas and additional targeted investment.

The Rural Communities Themed Round will be open to sports clubs, voluntary or community organisations, local authorities, schools, colleges and universities that provide opportunities for people to take part in community sport.

The fund will begin accepting applications on 24 April 2009, and those seeking funding will have until 5pm on 30 June 2009 to submit a stage one application.

Rural communities have been chosen for the first round to help address barriers to participation in sport, such as reduced choice and transport issues. The minimum grant available is £10,000.

For more details go to Sport England Funding

Link altered :;):
Paddle fast,,,Paddle safe Yorkshire Canoe Coaching

Fairweather Paddler

Post by Fairweather Paddler » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:31 pm

Just heard of this funding which may be useful to the clubs out there...

Cash 4 Clubs offers grants of £250 - £1K to support grassroot sports clubs. No preference is given to types of sport or the age range accessing the activity, but clubs should play an active role in the community, encourage social interaction and fitness, and be registered with their sport’s National Governing Body. All types of costs will be considered, including equipment, training and capital costs. www.cash-4-clubs.com

Slow Paddler

Post by Slow Paddler » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:45 pm

Guys there is plenty of money out there for grants

You just need to be prepared to fill the forms in, they're not that bad, just need a bit of thought

Various different grants have given us
19 new slalom kayaks,
4 new C1's,
2 new C2's
6 new open boats

Plus lots of kit and training

It has made a massive difference to our club and the amount of club participants entering slaloms.

Although the forms look daughting, do a bit at a time, & they're not that bad. It's defiently worth it.

lesf

Post by lesf » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Hi

You might want to look at Sport England's small grant scheme, which is lottery funding launched in April 2009 and picks up from the old Awards for All. I've just secured funding for 10 new club slalom boats through this.

The application form is fairly simple to fill out, and you get an answer in in 6-8 weeks.

Details are all on Sport England's website (under funding obviously)

Les