Sshhh – it’s a secret! The Pan Celtic

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
FCCslalom

Re: Sshhh – it’s a secret! The Pan Celtic

Post by FCCslalom » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:05 pm

Still liking the Idea of a one off race. Lee Valley is a long way for most and gives an advantage for local paddlers especially in the younger age groups where travelling long distances is not yet the norm.

Tees is a good call or jointly with the British Junior / Vet Championships as this rotates round the country and should already be at a venue that suits J12's up.

Dee

Post by Dee » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:59 pm

Wherever it is then local paddlers will have an advantage. The same is true of Tees as of Lee Valley. Those local to Tees will have the advantage; those with a 10hr round trip will probably never have been there. In practice, even those J12/J14s local-ish to Lee Valley mostly do their regular paddling elsewhere, I think, (there is a cost to paddling at LV) and of course a limited number will "make the team".

My reason for suggesting LV was tied in with making it more of an occasion and real race in its own right. British Open will next year be at the end of the calendar - it is the culmination of the British Racing Season. Running the PC alongside this would enable it to be more of something to aim for during the season.

Running the J12/J14 on the Legacy alongside it would mean that at prize giving we can have a proper winning team that can be announced. They will also all be in the same place at the same time.

In my mind it was about giving real kudos to making the team and making it a proper competition in its own right rather than a tag-on to an existing Div 1/2, where the ranking points are inevitably the most important factor for most and the "team" is largely based on those going anyway. The same could potentially be achieved at Tees, but I think we would not get the same "end of season"/"special achievement" result.
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

paddlerparent

Post by paddlerparent » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:07 pm

Dee wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:59 pm
Wherever it is then local paddlers will have an advantage. The same is true of Tees as of Lee Valley. Those local to Tees will have the advantage; those with a 10hr round trip will probably never have been there. In practice, even those J12/J14s local-ish to Lee Valley mostly do their regular paddling elsewhere, I think, (there is a cost to paddling at LV) and of course a limited number will "make the team".

My reason for suggesting LV was tied in with making it more of an occasion and real race in its own right. British Open will next year be at the end of the calendar - it is the culmination of the British Racing Season. Running the PC alongside this would enable it to be more of something to aim for during the season.

Running the J12/J14 on the Legacy alongside it would mean that at prize giving we can have a proper winning team that can be announced. They will also all be in the same place at the same time.

In my mind it was about giving real kudos to making the team and making it a proper competition in its own right rather than a tag-on to an existing Div 1/2, where the ranking points are inevitably the most important factor for most and the "team" is largely based on those going anyway. The same could potentially be achieved at Tees, but I think we would not get the same "end of season"/"special achievement" result.
Would love a like button on this site!

:D

LIKE!

humphr

Post by humphr » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:47 pm

You’d think the J14 would rather be on the Olympic
Another parent

WindsorCC

Post by WindsorCC » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:11 pm

Appreciate that it's not ideal for Scottish paddlers, but I do like the idea of running it as a single race at the Open, with the J12 part of the Div 2 on the Legacy.

Given it's a Prem and the Open most of the paddlers who'd be selected for the Pan Celtic teams will be there anyway...

Paul.

Dee

Post by Dee » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:29 pm

paddlerparent wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:07 pm

Would love a like button on this site!

LIKE!

Thanks.
It is an idea though - I'm not sure about financial feasibility nor even who is responsible for making decisions regarding Pan Celtic!
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

WindsorCC

Post by WindsorCC » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:38 am

Dee, I may well be forgetting something important, but I doubt think there should be any financial implications, as I'm assuming it would just run as it does now, points from nominated team paddlers based on position in the race.

Unless you were thinking of something else, like it being separate runs requiring more water time?

CeeBee

Post by CeeBee » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:06 pm

I like the idea of a prestigious Pan Celtic race being held at the British Open for all age groups with the younger age groups being held on the legacy course.

However, most of the Scottish younger paddlers have not been on the legacy course and so if this was feasible, we would need the event to be held on the Sunday with a couple of hours practice slots for each paddler on the Saturday so that our kids can get used to the water before racing. I appreciate this will cost money to book the course but if it is worth doing , it needs to be done properly.

We do need to collate the results after each Pan Celtic race and publish then as standalone Pan Celtic results. We also need to show the countries on the results list.

Many of our younger paddlers are delighted to be selected to represent Scotland - it is a real boost to their confidence and many of them are recognised with 'colours' at their schools. This is important to these young paddlers. Yes, they will then move on and some will be selected for GB teams and Pan Celtic and domestic races for many will become unimportant but it is important at the time.

I also like the idea of the British Open being rotated round different slalom sites but that is a different topic!

JimW

Post by JimW » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:16 am

SInce it is the 'British' Open, should it not move around the home nations year on year anyway? If it is always at LV surely it is the English Open?

If the British open were to move around, would it be best to include PCC in the British Open, or would it be better to have it moving around as a separate race in one of the nations not hosting the Open in the given year?

If we have either race move around, do CANI have a venue suitable to host it every 4th year, and would the rest of us go to make it a success?

FCCslalom

Post by FCCslalom » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:33 pm

One off event - tick

Run with the British Open - tick

rotated round the nations - Ideally

Could start at Lee Valley next year, see how it goes, and consider the rotation for future?

I suppose the problem is that Lee Valley is such a prestigious venue it attracts the best paddlers and has the WOW factor for the juniors.

Look forward to seeing if a consensus and a solution can be reached.

rose

Post by rose » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:43 pm

The Pan Celtic event at Bala Mill was enjoyed thoroughly by the J12, J14 and Vets, everybody was keen to do keen team events, with the youngsters so keen that they organised there own England Junior Teams. It was good that this event was held on water allowing J12 athletes to compete. It was good to see athletes keen to be in the team.

harratts

Post by harratts » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:28 pm

Well Done and thanks go to you Rose Mitchell for being there on the day to organise things for us all.

Much appreciated.
Steve