Cross Discipline Co-operation

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
JimW

Cross Discipline Co-operation

Post by JimW » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:24 pm

I would like to properly thank Dave Spencer and Duncan Berriman for helping us out last week modiying simply slalom and the remote results display program so that we could use them to display live results without penalties which enabled us to run a Wild Water Racing sprint race live on BBC Scotland's Adventure Show on Friday night.

The show also showcased canoe polo (including my old team, I wasn't playing with them but you may recognise goal scorer Michael Brown from Prem), and Freestyle, and was a triumph of cross discipline co-operation throughout the SCA including staff and board members.

Timing for the WWR was done mostly by SCA Slalom using the SCA beams rigged by the Baillies and operated by volunteers with interests in the Slalom, WWR and BoaterX camps, with backup times being taken by Sprint & Marathon and WWR paddlers. The SCA clubs officer took the lead in helping us get into our boats in a tricky eddy to a tight schedule enlisting the help of freestylers and polo players, whilst the Chief Exec and Head of Performance were also around helping out in different ways.

The BBC used their own graphics for results and timing in the show, but had someone watching the clocks live (we connected an extra monitor for them) to relay times to the commentators, and the lad updating the BBC results graphic had a computer wirelessly linked to our results display which was updated within about 10-20 seconds of each run (I used the (new?) option to change the refresh rate from the defaut 15s).

It all went quite smoothly, it was quite stressful but we could see quite quickly from a screen in control that they were getting brilliant footage of the WWR, and having watched the show on catch up now it really came together well. BBC seemed as happy as us and are already thinking about doing it again some time.

For those of you outside of Scotland or who missed it, the link to the show on i-player is here:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m ... atersports

Look out for a few faces you may recognise from slalom
Thanks again to everyone who helped out in any way to make this happen!

djberriman

Re: Cross Discipline Co-operation

Post by djberriman » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:53 pm

Glad it worked, was a bit worried.

We also did cross discipline at Howsham with a WWR event after the slalom, long may it continue.

JimW

Re: Cross Discipline Co-operation

Post by JimW » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:40 pm

It all worked perfectly, the only bit that failed was a macro I wrote to create a second run start list in reverse order of first run finishes.

Worked brilliantly in testing at 4am, failed dismally to open the .csv files at 7:30pm with operator kneeling in wet kit (to avoid getting a seat wet) ending up copying and pasting the results sheet from SS to a new worksheet and then sorting each class in reverse alphabetical order (which fortunately also reverses numerical order and with the position being first column it was a single click in the end, probably quicker than pointing the macro at the working directory!). :roll: