Ore coach training

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
chriswilde

Ore coach training

Post by chriswilde » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:30 am

One to be aware of!

I registered to attend the slalom coach award training at HPP later this month (missing Symonds Yat Slalom in the process), yesterday I got an email telling me that because I had not completed the 'core coach training' 2 day course I could not attend the course.

I had not realised this was a pre-requisite it did not state it on the information on canoe slalom website or prior to me paying the money on the BC website when booking about a month ago.

This means that if anyone wants to do the course they now have to do a two day core coach training course and first aid before attending the slalom coach course.

I have just applied via the Accredited Prior Learning route siting my old Level 3 kayak coach award etc....hopefully this will work

Chris
Last edited by chriswilde on Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steve Holmes

Re: Slalom Coach Award - Watch out

Post by Steve Holmes » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:52 pm

I’m in a similar position - level 3 coach and want to become a slalom coach. I do want to do the core coach training, as I think it could be worthwhile, but I’m picky about who I do it with and when I do it (reluctant to give up family time and slaloms, work and now potentially RTA will take up a lot of weekends!) I had a course booked with Chris Brain earlier in the year but it fell through due to not enough participants.
I’m going to apply for APL and hope for the best, so that if a slalom course comes up I can do it, then maybe do the core training retrospectively.

lesf

Re: Ore coach training

Post by lesf » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:04 pm

To clarify a couple of things:

If you did the previous UKCC L2 training or assessment that allows you to bypass the new 'Core' course. However the older BCU L3 doesn't (which I assume is Steve's issue) but it could be part of an APL application.

First Aid - you need a 2day first aid certificate in place when you go for assessment (amongst other things) You don't need First Aid to attend the Slalom Coach training - although it's a good thing for any paddler to have in place.

Details of the course and prerequisites are on the BC website https://www.britishcanoeing.org.uk/coac ... my-pathway